"Databases" is merely an eye-glazing term that means electronic access to thousands of magazines /journals and millions of articles. You don't have a subscription to Consumer Reports? Your State of Maine does.
Here's how to access it from home:
1. Can I access MARVEL! from home with my computer?
Yes. You will need an Internet connection to your computer or any device that accesses the Internet. After you select one of the resources, you may be prompted to login.
- If accessing from a library or K-16 school, you do not need to login.
- Login 1 of 3 ways:
- 1. If you have a Minerva or URSUS library card, login on the upper half of the screen (Fig. A) using your last name and the barcode on your library card.
- 2. If your Internet Service Provider is one of the following, you can access MARVEL! without needing to login:
- Midcoast Internet Solutions
- Aroostook Internet
- Coastal Telco
MARVEL! Login, Figure A & B
- 3. You must register if you do not meet conditions in #1 or #2. Once you are registered with MARVEL! and have obtained a username and password for login , you will use this username and password for each MARVEL! visit. (Fig. B)
- Choose " Register here" and complete the form. To offer Maine residents home access to MARVEL! resources, vendor licensing agreements require identifying information. This information is NOT provided to any third parties. You will be asked for your first and last name, zip code, email, telephone number, and your type of library affiliation. Company name is optional.
- Username and password: Your email address for ease of remembering or a username you prefer. Choose a password of 6 characters (either with letters and/or numbers) for your MARVEL! password or use the randomly generated one offered you.
- Thank you: You will receive an automated "thank you" once you submit your information and be able to start using MARVEL! immediately.
- Confirmation email: You will receive an email message with your username and password. This comes automatically from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading of "MARVEL! New Registration".
- Password Retrieval/Edit My Account: If you lose or forget your password, chose "Forgot your password?". You may change your personal information under "Edit My Account" once you are logged in.
- Any Problems or Questions? Please see your public or school librarian for help or read the Frequently Asked Questions on the MARVEL! web site. http://www.maine.gov/marvel/
3. I am a visitor to Maine and love using MARVEL!. Can I access this resource from my home state?
Under the licensing agreements with MARVEL! vendors, access to this resource can be provided only within the State of Maine. Most states have similar online resources so check with your local library when you return to your home state.
4. I am a Maine citizen but attend a college (school, university, etc) outside the State of Maine. Can I access MARVEL! while I'm studying outside the state?
MARVEL! is restricted to use within Maine only; however, your college, university or school will probably have similar collections of online resources to help you. Please visit the library where you study.