Curtis Memorial Library schedule from Feb. 2 - Apr. 13 :
- Wednesdays from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Fridays from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Taxpayers should bring the following material to the site:
- A photo-ID for the applicant; Social Security cards (or numbers) for dependents.
- A copy of last year's tax returns, if possible. (Also, any 2006 tax packages received from the IRS or the state, but don't pick up forms from the library.)
- All tax-related forms received, such as W-2, 1099R, SSA-1099 or other 1099, etc.
- "Year-end summary" statements from investment accounts (if any); information on purchase dates and cost basis of any investments sold.
- Information on possible deductions, such as medical expenses, real estate and car excise taxes, mortgage interest and charitable contributions.
- Information relating to any tax credits the applicant may be entitled to.
New this year — Applicants may be entitled to a (small) "credit for federal telephone excise taxes paid," reimbursed to the applicant even if no income tax is owed.
A note to "shut-ins": Volunteers can come to the home of persons unable to go out. To make arrangements in the Brunswick area call Marlene Budd at 725-7300. To make arrangements in the Bath area, call Nancy Lord at 729-4036.
For more information on the program, call Nancy Lord, Tax-Aide district coordinator, at 729-4036.
Other Midcoast Locations:
Tax-Aide counseling begins Feb. 1 and continues through April 17, at the following locations and times in this area:
- Boothbay Harbor: Boothbay YMCA, Townsend Road, Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to noon, by appointment only; call Carol Ostermann, 633-6748.
- Wiscasset: Wiscasset Community Center, 242 Gardiner Road, Mondays from 9 a.m. to noon, by appointment only: call Carol Ostermann, 633-6748.
- Bath: Bath Area Senior Activity Center, 45 Floral St., (443-4937), Mondays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon, appointment not required.
- Bath: Patten Free Library, 33 Summer St. (443-5141), Tuesdays from 10 a.m to 4 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 pm to 7:30 p.m., appointment not required.
- Brunswick: People Plus, 6 Noble St., Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to noon and Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 729-0757; walk-ins will be helped if possible.
- Topsham: Topsham Public Library, 25 Foreside Road, Mondays from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For and appointment, call 725-1727; walk-ins will be helped if possible.
- Freeport: Freeport Town Hall, 30 Main St., Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., by appointment only; call 865-4743, ext. 120.