Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Brunswick councilors have unanimously approved the development of Brunswick's Maine Street Station which has lain dormant for 20 years. The full details of the decision may be found in the Tuesday Times Record.
The full plans for Maine Street Station are available here as a pdf file. This large file is 82 pages long and requires Adobe Reader to access.
Thursday, January 04, 2007
Curtis Memorial Library schedule from Feb. 2 - Apr. 13 :
- Wednesdays from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Fridays from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Taxpayers should bring the following material to the site:
- A photo-ID for the applicant; Social Security cards (or numbers) for dependents.
- A copy of last year's tax returns, if possible. (Also, any 2006 tax packages received from the IRS or the state, but don't pick up forms from the library.)
- All tax-related forms received, such as W-2, 1099R, SSA-1099 or other 1099, etc.
- "Year-end summary" statements from investment accounts (if any); information on purchase dates and cost basis of any investments sold.
- Information on possible deductions, such as medical expenses, real estate and car excise taxes, mortgage interest and charitable contributions.
- Information relating to any tax credits the applicant may be entitled to.
New this year — Applicants may be entitled to a (small) "credit for federal telephone excise taxes paid," reimbursed to the applicant even if no income tax is owed.
A note to "shut-ins": Volunteers can come to the home of persons unable to go out. To make arrangements in the Brunswick area call Marlene Budd at 725-7300. To make arrangements in the Bath area, call Nancy Lord at 729-4036.
For more information on the program, call Nancy Lord, Tax-Aide district coordinator, at 729-4036.
Other Midcoast Locations:
Tax-Aide counseling begins Feb. 1 and continues through April 17, at the following locations and times in this area:
- Boothbay Harbor: Boothbay YMCA, Townsend Road, Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to noon, by appointment only; call Carol Ostermann, 633-6748.
- Wiscasset: Wiscasset Community Center, 242 Gardiner Road, Mondays from 9 a.m. to noon, by appointment only: call Carol Ostermann, 633-6748.
- Bath: Bath Area Senior Activity Center, 45 Floral St., (443-4937), Mondays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon, appointment not required.
- Bath: Patten Free Library, 33 Summer St. (443-5141), Tuesdays from 10 a.m to 4 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 pm to 7:30 p.m., appointment not required.
- Brunswick: People Plus, 6 Noble St., Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to noon and Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 729-0757; walk-ins will be helped if possible.
- Topsham: Topsham Public Library, 25 Foreside Road, Mondays from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For and appointment, call 725-1727; walk-ins will be helped if possible.
- Freeport: Freeport Town Hall, 30 Main St., Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., by appointment only; call 865-4743, ext. 120.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Looking for a place to hang out after school? If you are in grades 6 - 12, you are welcome to come down to the Teen Center and play pool, ping pong, air hockey, PS2, Nintendo and other video games, use the wireless Internet access with your laptop or one of the center's computers, watch movies, read, draw, talk, or just hang out. Check this calendar for additional special programs scheduled at the Teen Center.
Located in the basement of the People Plus Center on the corner of Maine and Noble streets. Phone is 721-0754