NAMI Maine and the Bath-Brunswick Affiliate will also sponsor a Family-to-Family Education Program this fall. A free 12 week series of classes, which will be held from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays, will start in Brunswick on September 12. The course is designed for parents, siblings, spouses, teenage and adult children and significant others of people with mental illness. Advance registration is required.
The course will cover information about:
- mood disorders (depression and bipolar disorder), schizophrenia, anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and personality disorder;
- coping skills such as handling crisis and relapse;
- basic information about medications;
- listening and communication techniques;
- problem-solving skills;
- recovery and rehabilitation
- self-care around worry and stress.
For the class location, more information or to register, call Valerie Gamache at 865-3264 or NAMI-Maine at 1-800-464-5767.